Existentialism Philosophy







 

A Response to David McDivitt

I read David's latest post here at Existentialism Philosophy blog. I will try to interpret his words as charitably as possible and if I have misinterpreted some, I apologize.

The words which popped into my eyes were these words:

"Not only do I reject the basic premise of morality, that there exists some best, good, or appropriate way for people to be, but I reject pessimism and depravity outright. Such is the view of those dependent on society to supply personal valuations, that it does not provide ideology sufficiently inspirational, nor cause those ideas to happen in real terms."

We can see that David rejects that there is some best, good, or appropriate way for people to be. Then, he says he rejects pessimism. But why? He says that it is "the view of those dependent on society to supply personal valuations, that it does not provide ideology sufficiently inspirational, nor cause those ideas to happen in real terms." But why would he reject it if he does not think it is bad or not good? Why would he reject pessimism if he does not think it is not an appropriate way for people to be? If he thinks this (being pessimistic) is not an appropriate way to be, then he has in mind an appropriate way to be and thus, contradict his statement that he rejects premises of morality. In fact, why would he write the piece he has written if he does not think it is good for him to do so? He may answer that it is simply beneficial. But beneficial for what? He must believe in some kind of good or else he would not have written this piece.

He then says,

"Go and do what you want as much as you want, as if you were not doing so, anyway. View what effect your actions have, however, and if those effects would be desired. Such is not morality. It is self interest."

But why? Why would I do what I want as much as I want? Why should I care about my self-interest? Is doing what I want good, at least, good for me?

I also find that this kind of statement is a terrible advice. Let's say that a woman is walking down the street. No one is watching and there are no police around. I see the woman and see that she is a very beautiful woman. I then have the urge to do something to her, something sexually. Am I to rape her? My self-interest says yes. No one is watching, and I probably can think of ways as to not get caught. But should I do it? It will certainly give me pleasure. According to David, I should go do it.


posted by Ap at 11/15/2003 |


Comments: Post a Comment

Search WWW Search Existentialism Philosophy

Powered by Blogger

[Valid RSS]


© Copywrite 2002-2005: Another BATR Site